Component Production Lab Tech I
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Component Production Lab Tech I
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
1400 LaConcha Lane
Houston, Texas 77054
RADIATION SAFETY POSITION: Employees in this position may be eligible for unescorted access to blood irradiation equipment. If so, the employee will be subject to additional background screening to include personal reference checks, fingerprinting and local, state and federal criminal background checks.
TITLE/CODE: Component Lab Technician I
DEPARTMENT: Component Production
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Under supervision of shift supervisor, performs fairly routine work requiring reasonable judgment in the processing of the following biological components: RBC, platelets, cryoprecipitate AHF, single donor plasma, source leukocytes, recovered plasma and a variety of special orders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Organize, identify and document component production daily with complete accuracy into the computer system or manually if needed.
- Weigh, balance and load blood products intended for separation into the centrifuge accurately adjusting setting according to production intentions.
- Organize, apply product labels and store all components produced with complete accuracy ensuring that all procedures are followed.
- Assist as necessary in the daily process of securing quarantined components and perform quality control functions for laboratory equipment as assigned.
- Promptly respond and prepare special patient use requests/assignments and must recognize and interpret special procedures or tags on units and act upon them accordingly.
- Assist with biohazard waste management including collection and internal transport of organizational waste.
- Assist in the RRPL area including organizing, preparing, packing, and shipping of non-transfusable products for research, manufacturing, or Clinical Trials.
- Assure products are properly managed according to standard operating procedure and client specifications in a reasonable amount of time.
- Must comply with OSHA, FDA, AABB, cGMP and other regulatory standards to ensure accuracy, potency, proper identity, and safety of all products.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED; Experience working in a regulated environment is a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be flexible with working hours and days.
Work schedule is Tuesday- Saturday: 4pm- 12:30am
Computer Literate: Must be familiar with using computers.
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is frequently required to stand for long periods. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program . Employee may occasionally push or pull wheeled containers weighing up to 150 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as any other biohazard materials. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is frequently exposed to extreme cold.
Job duties involved an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.