Lab Tech I (Processing Lab)
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Lab Tech I (Processing Lab)
Hours Per Week:
Sunday - Thursday or Tuesday - Saturday
4:30 pm to 12:30am
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 La Concha Lane in Houston Texas 77054
Position Title: Lab Tech I – Processing
Function Titles: Lab Tech
Join our team of heroes!
Are you looking for more than a job? We are hiring a detailed-oriented Lab Tech that is organized, willing to learn and grow within the organization.
The Lab Tech is responsible for to c ollect and/or processes samples for specimen collection projects and Clinical Trials.
This role is great for those who has curiosity and imaginative skills that has a strong desire to help people and does not mind repetitive work.
Just For You:
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you’ll:
- Quarantines units as required and follows all safety regulations concerning the handling of biohazard materials to include cleaning work area, centrifuges, and master trays.
- Processes sample tubes by centrifuging and placing in master trays in correct order and enters tubes into LB-Trays in the computer.
- Processes outside testing samples by recording (on outside testing sheet) applying GC bar codes and entering in the computer with correct client code.
- Performs computer searches, matches, verifications, and printouts as assigned and identifies possible tube errors through use of computer assisted programs.
- Initiates troubleshooting of equipment and resolution of problems and reports outcome to Supervisor.
- Records refrigerator and freezer temperatures and discards old samples and stores test tubes in the refrigerator.
- Picks up samples from client and responds to client concerns in a timely and courteous manner.
- Complete at least 12 hours continuing education per year.
- Additional duties as assigned.
We need someone who has:
- High School Diploma or GED
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program in an effort to prevent bodily injury and for the health and safety of others. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment described here are representative of the employee will encounter while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as any other biohazard materials. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job duties involved an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
Who We Are:
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization and is accredited, licensed, and inspected by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), AABB as well as local and state authorities. Serving the largest medical campus in the world, The Blood Center has grown to more than 650 employees and serves more than 170 hospitals and health care institutions in the 26-county Texas Gulf Coast, Brazos Valley, and East Texas regions. As it pertains to stability, we have been in business for over 45 years with no threat of mergers or acquisitions; and growing stronger as we gain more partnerships within the business community.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results, or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.