Processing Lab Tech II
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Processing Lab Tech II
Hours Per Week:
Sunday through Thursday
11:00 PM to 7:00 AM
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
1400 LaConcha Lane, Houston, Texas 77054
TITLE/CODE: Technician II
DEPARTMENT: Processing Laboratory, NAT
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Under supervision of the Processing Manager, the position conducts viral and non-viral blood tests.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Performs testing, prepares reagents, and performs/documents quality control and preventive maintenance according to standard operating procedures and completes results in a timely manner.
- Updates results from workstation computer to mainframe system; enters and verifies manual results and quarantines units as required.
- Fills outs all required forms and pulls samples for repeat reactive and confirmatory testing and performs computer searches, matches, and printouts.
- Responsible for daily operations when supervisory staff is not available, adjusts work hours according to workflow needs as requested by Supervisor. Initiates troubleshooting of equipment and reports outcome to Supervisor.
- Performs special tasks as assigned by supervisor including review of quality control documents and validation of SOPs; participates in quality control and quality assurance activities within the department.
- Supports the integration of new staff into department by providing training and support in adhering to workflow; obtains current information in the field through utilization of in-services, workshops and seminars.
- Follows safety procedures including proper use of personal protective equipment, appropriate use of engineering controls, and performance of safe work practices as stated in the safety manual to include cleaning and restocking work area at the end of the shift and informs Supervisor when supply levels are low.
- Communicates with internal and external customers and responds to client concerns in a timely and professional manner.
Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions)
Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays
Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
This job has no routine supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Associate’s Degree from an accredited college or university (or 60 semester hours of lab course work) and completion of accredited MLT program, or Associate’s Degree (or 60 semester hours of lab course work) and completion of 50 week US Military medical technology laboratory course. Candidates must also be eligible to sit for ASCP (or equivalent) certification exam.
OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT MUST BE PROVIDED AND KEPT IN PERSONNEL FILE.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must be flexible with working hours and days
Computer literacy desirable
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk; occasionally required to sit, climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to blood and blood components as well as other biohazard materials, moving mechanical parts and extreme cold. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job duties involved an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.