Regional Phlebotomist Driver - On Call
Blood Center East Texas
Regional Phlebotomist Driver - On Call
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
(Location: 3520 North University Drive in Nacogdoches, Texas 75965)
(Updated Requirements--this is an on-call position: must be able to arrive to 3520 North University within 30 minutes)
TITLE/CODE: Regional Phlebotomist - Driver - On Call
DEPARTMENT: Regional Center
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Reporting to the NDC Technical Services / NDC Operations Manager, position is responsible for the performance of routine work related to the set up/tear down of mobile sites, the screening, collection and hematroning of blood and blood products during mobile or facility operations. Frequent contact with the donor public and blood clients occurs requiring a high level of customer service. Safely drive company vehicle to and from collection and delivery sites.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned.
- Operates departmental vehicle for the transporting of staff and equipment to mobile sites and designated client locations, in accordance with the guidelines set forth by Vehicle Loss Control Committee of the Blood Center.
- Completes pre-departure and post-drive checks of departmental vehicles and equipment.
- Ensure compliance with acceptability standards as set forth in the Vehicle Safety and Loss Control Policy, Standard Operating Procedures Manual, cGMPs and various other policies, procedures and protocol.
- Assists with the loading, unloading, set-up and tear down of equipment at mobile donor and/or NDC sites.
- Performs pre-donation screening, venipuncture, and post venipuncture care of donors in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
- Accurately and legibly completes donor records in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates strong level of customer service skills and customer service focus.
- Identifies and addresses non-routine situations arising during phlebotomy procedures and reports them to supervisor.
- Attends and completes continuing education and training in phlebotomy procedures, instruments, and equipment as required.
- Maintains acceptable level of proficiency in required phlebotomy procedures.
- Assists other staff members in maintaining smooth workflow and processes.
- Accept all phone orders and IMS orders received and enter them into BECS (Blood Establishment Computer Software).
- Initiate and complete incoming and outgoing hospital orders in BECS.
- Perform necessary quality control activities and documentation.
- Perform inspections on equipment as required, and maintain proper arrangement of blood component inventory, monitor hospital inventory. Perform Driver I duties as well as Acting Shift Coordinator duties when necessary.
- Inspection of blood components should occur while consigning and returning blood components. Inspections should include, but not be limited to the following; verify proper labeling, segments and appearance of all blood components.
- Maintain assigned vehicle and all assigned equipment in a clean and safe operating manner; perform annual transit temperature checks and as needed/directed.
- Organize and stock blood and blood components on properly labeled shelves and inventory operational supplies daily, order accordingly to insure no breaks in service delivery.
- Rotate on-call duties to provide after-hours deliveries and address any equipment alarms.
- Actively recruits donors at donor sites.
Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions)
Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays
Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Must be regularly able to work at off-site locations and to either transport self or be transported to same.
This job has no routine supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED and six months of phlebotomy experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. (Associate degree from an accredited college or university is a plus). Strongly prefer a minimum of six months experience working in a position involving frequent interaction with the public and the use of customer service skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certificate of Phlebotomy strongly preferred
EMT Certification or Licenses in a related field a plus
Valid Texas Drivers License and acceptable driving record
CDL is a plus but not required
Ability to establish and maintain positive rapport with donors so as to provide high level of customer service. Ability to interact professionally and politely with others.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively communicate with donors.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Excellent internal and external customer service skills.
High degree of attention to detail and paperwork functions
Ability to comply with FDA guidelines regarding Standard Operating Procedures and Quality Control policies when facilitating blood component distribution.
Must be able to work under high stress at a fast pace.
Computer Literate: Must be familiar with using computers.
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds without team lift assistance. Employee must occasionally push and/or pull up to 150 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with requirements as specified in the Safety Program in an effort to prevent bodily injury and for the health and safety of others. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, outside weather conditions, extreme cold or heat, toxic or caustic chemicals, and blood and/or blood components, as well as other bio-hazardous material. The employee is frequently exposed to risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identi t y, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.