Administrative Assistant II--Medical Services
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Administrative Assistant II--Medical Services
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 La Concha Lane in Houston, Texas 77054
TITLE/CODE Administrative Assistant II – Medical Services
DEPARTMENT: Medical Services
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Reporting to the Medical Services Manager, is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support for the Medical Services Department and supplemental support functions for the Departments of Quality Assurance, Medical Apheresis and Cellular Life Solutions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
· Provides administrative support, including but not limited to work processing, spreadsheet, organizational, scheduling and general clerical activities, taking and preparing meeting minutes, and answering phone calls and correspondence.
· Coordinates review, tracking, and closure of reports of TRALI and transfusion-transmitted diseases.
· Coordinates scheduling, on-site activities, and materials for pathology residents and blood bank fellows from local academic institutions.
· Answers routine Donor Eligibility questions and routes questions as appropriate to MD on-call.
· Provides supplemental support as needed for activities of Medical Apheresis/Cellular Life Solutions, including scheduling, maintaining charts, and coordinating necessary reviews and approvals.
· Documents corporate expenditures for department members as appropriate and submits for payment.
· Organizes and distributes incoming mail to departments, including circulation of journals.
· Monitors and orders supplies for department.
· Maintains Contracts and other Medical Services documents in SharePoint.
· Prepares Excel and PowerPoint documents as necessary to support department functions.
· Maintains working knowledge of Standard Operating Procedures, and other applicable regulatory guidelines, and handles related confidential correspondence.
· Works collaboratively with departments to maintain procedures and policies.
Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions)
Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays
Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have a one-year certificate from an accredited college/technical school; minimum of two years of secretarial experience or related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Healthcare experience is highly desirable.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, independently. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Type 50 wpm
Computer literate: Microsoft Office
Good interpersonal communication skills.
Good knowledge of Medical Terminology
Good attention to detail, accuracy.
Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize own work.
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to operate a computer and other office machinery and remain in a stationary position. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.