Component Production Tech I
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Component Production Tech I
Hours Per Week:
Friday - Monday
2:00 pm - 12:30am
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 La Concha Lane
Houston, Texas 77054
RADIATION SAFETY POSITION: Employees in this position may be eligible for unescorted access to blood irradiation equipment. If so, the employee will be subject to additional background screening to include personal reference checks, fingerprinting and local, state and federal criminal background checks.
Position Title: Component Production Technician
Function Titles: Production
Join our team of heroes!
Are you looking for more than a job? We are seeking a detail-oriented individual to perform a wide variety of detailed and sequential tasks, according to standard operating procedures, resulting in the production and final labeling of blood components. Working in a highly regulated, and team-oriented environment.
The Component Production Technician will prepare, document, evaluate, perform routine labeling, and blood components according to standard operating procedures, as well as operate and maintain equipment used in the processing and labeling of blood components. The incumbent is responsible for processing the following biological components: Red Blood Cells, platelets, cryoprecipitate AHF, single donor plasma, source leukocytes, recovered plasma and a variety of special orders.
This role is great for those who do not mind repetitive work and standing for long periods of time.
Just For You:
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you’ll:
- Organize, identify and document component production daily with complete accuracy into the computer system or manually if needed.
- Weigh, balance and load blood products intended for separation into the centrifuge accurately adjusting setting according to production intentions.
- Organize, apply product labels and store all components produced with complete accuracy ensuring that all procedures are followed.
- Assist as necessary in the daily process of securing quarantined components and perform quality control functions for laboratory equipment as assigned.
- Promptly respond and prepare special patient use requests/assignments and must recognize and interpret special procedures or tags on units and act upon them accordingly.
- Assist with biohazard waste management including collection and internal transport of organizational waste.
- Assist in the RRPL area including organizing, preparing, packing, and shipping of non-transfusable products for research, manufacturing, or Clinical Trials.
- Assure products are properly managed according to standard operating procedure and client specifications in a reasonable amount of time.
- Must comply with OSHA, FDA, AABB, cGMP and other regulatory standards to ensure accuracy, potency, proper identity, and safety of all products.
- Complete additional duties as assigned
We need someone who has:
High School Diploma or GED; Experience working in a regulated environment is a plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee is frequently required to stand for long periods. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program . Employee may occasionally push or pull wheeled containers weighing up to 150 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as any other biohazard materials. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee is frequently exposed to extreme cold.
Job duties involved an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
Who We Are:
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization and is accredited, licensed, and inspected by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), AABB as well as local and state authorities. Serving the largest medical campus in the world, The Blood Center has grown to more than 650 employees and serves more than 170 hospitals and health care institutions in the 26-county Texas Gulf Coast, Brazos Valley, and East Texas regions. As it pertains to stability, we have been in business for over 45 years with no threat of mergers or acquisitions; and growing stronger as we gain more partnerships within the business community.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results, or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation, or Executive Order.