Consultation & Reference Lab Tech III - Night Shift - Condensed
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 LaConcha Lane in Houston, Texas 77054
Position Title: Consultation and Reference Lab Technician III
Industry Titles: MT, MLS, SBB, Medical Laboratory Scientist, Specialist in Blood Banking, Medical Laboratory Technician, Medical Technologist, Medical Technician, Clinical Laboratory Scientist, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Lab Specialist
Join our team of heroes!
Are you looking for more than a job? We are hiring technically astute and highly talented Laboratory Professionals to join our team.
Our Consultation and Reference Lab Technicians prepare special blood components and perform patient and donor tests to support over 170 hospitals and service partners across the Greater Gulf Coast area. With their dedication, we remain one of the top reference laboratories in Houston.
This laboratory position provides an opportunity for professional growth within our organization and a chance to utilize your skills to support our community.
This role is great for those who work with precision, are inquisitive, have a knack for quality and takes pride in delivering quality service to community partners and patients.
JUST FOR YOU:
- Compressed shift options.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Texas Medical Center location with free parking.
- Education and Career advancement.
- Mentoring for advanced certification as a Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB).
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you’ll:
- Demonstrate competency in essential functions of Tech II.
- Under the guidance of a Specialist, perform, interpret, and document moderately complex antibody identification, compatibility testing, and donor serological testing.
- Prepare consultation reports.
- Evaluate and process requests and patient samples per established guidelines.
- Record, place and fill orders for antigen-negative red blood cells.
- Monitor inventory of components.
- Prepare washed and deglycerolized RBCs.
- Perform quality control and preventative maintenance as assigned.
- Prepare reagents.
- Enter rare cell and serum samples into database.
- Adhere to department guidelines, rules, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
We need someone who:
- Earned a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) certification from an accredited program (ASCP or equivalent) plus minimum 2 years advanced and recent (within past 2 years) blood bank and immunohematology experience; OR
- Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) from an accredited program (ASCP or equivalent) with recent (within past 2 years) blood bank and immunohematology experience; OR
- MLS new graduate eligible to take certification exam; certification must be obtained within 6 months of employment. Failure to obtain certification may lead to termination of employment.
For MLTs, ASCP certification or equivalent required at hire.
For MLS with relevant experience, ASCP required upon hire; if new graduate, certification must be obtained within 6 months of employment. Failure to obtain certification within required time frame may lead to termination of employment.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.