Coordinator, Transfusion Safety Program
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Coordinator, Transfusion Safety Program
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location : 1400 LaConcha Lane in Houston, Texas 77054
TITLE: Coordinator, Transfusion Safety Program
DEPARTMENT: Consultation and Reference
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsible for the development, implementation and continuation of a community-based transfusion safety program. This individual will establish service and coordinate efforts to monitor transfusion safety practices and monitor compliance in those facilities for whom GCRBC serves as the crossmatch service provider. Provides education and support to transfusion services regarding transfusion practice and quality issues. Reports to the Consultation and Reference Laboratory Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Oversees the Transfusion Safety Program for clients to include quality aspects related to administration protocols, patient consent, specimen collection, proper use of filters and infusion devices, and recognition of adverse events associated with transfusion.
- Coordinates data collection and reporting for audits of transfusion safety practices, transfusion reactions, and transfusion-transmitted infections for clients.
- Assists in development and monitoring of key quality indicators of transfusion practices related to safety, including the performance of periodic audits.
- Assists hospital personnel with activities related to regulatory compliance.
- Identifies need for hospital corrective action plans and enforces contractual obligations.
- Develops, coordinates, and delivers in-services and other educational programs to staff nurses and others on job-related activities.
- Establishes a regular schedule of client communication via client visits, phone calls, and other methods of contact.
- Coordinates new client on-boarding and transfusion safety activities with key personnel from Medical Services, Client Support Services, and Consultation & Reference Laboratory, including scheduling of visits, audits, and in-services, as appropriate.
- Coordinates the escalation of transfusion safety and quality-related activities requiring Medical Director and/or Chief Medical Officer assistance or involvement.
- Prepares, reviews, and analyzes reports of transfusion activities.
- Responsible for remaining current on national standards and trends in the area of transfusion safety and making appropriate suggestions as to necessary changes or updates.
- Maintains adequate knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, and essential laboratory tests as they pertain to transfusion medicine.
- Adheres to policies, procedures and standards within regulatory compliance, budgetary specifications, including time management, productivity, and accuracy of practice; ensures an adequate supply inventory.
- Maintains all records required by AABB, FDA, and other accrediting agency standards, including audit data forms.
- Partners with Business Development to identify program growth opportunities.
Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions)
Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays
Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Off Site Work
Must regularly work at off site locations and transport self to same.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree in medical laboratory science or related science from an accredited four-year college or university with SBB certification preferred; or graduate of accredited School of Professional Nursing with current RN or LVN license in good standing. Three to five years related clinical, transfusion service, supervisory or quality assurance experience and/or training. Prior project management skills preferred. Must be knowledgeable in activities of a transfusion service.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Medical Laboratory Scientist, MLS (ASCP) or equivalent,
Specialist in Blood Banking (SBB) preferred; or
Current unrestricted Texas RN or LVN license or current unrestricted RN license from another state with the ability to acquire a Texas license within 90 days of hire.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret professional journals, technical procedures, and government regulations. Ability to write standard operating procedures, educational materials, routine reports and correspondence, independently. Ability to communicate effectively with clients, laboratory/hospital staff, physicians, and other caregivers. Able to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Strong problem-solving skills. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Computer literate: Microsoft Office
Excellent customer and interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
Good attention to detail and accuracy
Ability to manage multiple projects and prioritize own work.
Ability to work with others in a team to ensure quality patient care
POSITION DRIVING STATUS:
Personal Vehicle Driver
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, and sitting. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program in an effort to prevent bodily injury and for the health and safety of others. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as other biohazard materials. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to hepatitis and HIV.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.