Document QC Specialist
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Document QC Specialist
Hours Per Week:
4PM to 12AM
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
(Location: 1400 LaConcha Lane Houston, Texas 77054)
TITLE/CODE: Document QC Specialist
DEPARTMENT: Management Information Systems
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Reporting to the Data Entry Supervisor and Assistant Supervisor, this position reviews all donor records, in an effort to achieve excellence in blood banking practice and to assure compliance with all regulatory agencies and in-house procedures and protocols.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Exhibit knowledge in all record review responsibilities; in addition, meet knowledge requirements for Allogeneic, Apheresis and Special Procedure donations; deferral codes and time periods to assist with donor record reviews.
- Must be abreast of Donor Collection SOPs, job aids and forms that impact donor record documentation and donor eligibility . Exhibit knowledge when evaluating existing donors in SafeTrace to determine eligibility status at time of donation.
- Maintain knowledge needed to evaluate daily scheduled to identify mobile drives and expected equipment to be used in the Donor-ID collections process.
- Exhibit knowledge with SafeTrace navigation within various subsystems.
- Illustrate knowledge of document types from various departments and their scanning requirements.
- Review all donor records for any errors or omissions of required documentation and quarantine corresponding units of blood.
- Generate Quality Improvement Reports for identified error/omissions of required documentation, when applicable.
- Monitor the status of the unidirectional transfer of registration and draw information from Donor-ID to SafeTrace.
- Identify errors or unanticipated events which may impact the upload process and report to Help Desk staff.
- Update required donor visit/draw information to SafeTrace that is excluded from the electronic upload process.
- Generate end of day reconciliation reports, evaluate and resolve any discrepancies.
- Scan donation records for current days draw and assist with additional Imaging projects.
- Assist Product Assessment Specialist with corrections related to draw information.
Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself / herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions)
Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays
Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School or GED diploma is required. One-year certificate from an accredited college/technical school is preferred; minimum one-year related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical assistant/medical terminology background highly preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, independently. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to operate a computer and other office machinery and remain in a stationary position. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as any other biohazard materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identi t y, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.