Part -Time Driver I (College Station)
Blood Center of Brazos Valley
Part -Time Driver I (College Station)
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
1701 Rock Prairie Rd, College Station, TX 77845
TITLE/CODE: Regional Operations Part-Time Driver I
DEPARTMENT: Regional Center
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Transports/delivers by vehicle blood samples, blood and blood products and supplies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Delivers blood components to and picks up returns from designated locations, packing all units to maintain required temperature range during transit ensuring every component’s highest quality.
- Performs visual inspections and verifies numbering, labeling and appearance of all units selected for delivery to ensure quality control standards are met.
- Places returned units on designated observation shelves, notifying supervisor or laboratory personnel of any abnormalities.
- Initiates and completes documents for consignment and return of blood components to designated locations, providing copies to appropriate personnel/hospitals.
- Picks up blood components, tubes and records, maintaining proper temperatures, from donor sites and returns them to the laboratory in a safe manner.
- Transports supplies, mail, etc. to and from facilities.
- Constructs shipping boxes, ice bags and complete waybills as needed/directed.
- Assists in processing of blood components as needed.
- Maintains all assigned vehicles and equipment in a clean and safe operating manner.
- Performs quality assurance/quality control activities as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED; No previous experience or training required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Texas Driver's License (TDL) plus acceptable driving record
Must meet standards of The Blood Center’s Vehicle Safety Program
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Excellent internal and external customer service skills
High degree of attention to detail and paperwork functions
Ability to comply with FDA guidelines regarding Standard Operating Procedures and Quality Control policies when facilitating blood component distribution.
Must be able to work under high stress at a fast pace.
Must be flexible with working hours and days (25 hours a week)
Computer Literate: Must have familiarity with using computers.
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and blood and/or blood components, as well as any other biohazard materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.