Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 LaConcha Lane in Houston, Texas 77054
TITLE/CODE: Graphic Designer
DEPARTMENT: Commit for Life
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Reporting to the Marketing department, the Graphic Designer develops or acquires images used in a variety of creative projects, including ads, brochures, corporate identity, packaging, presentations, promotional displays, signage, apparel, vehicle graphics and website. Also, coordinates the production and finishing of marketing materials and company publications. Typical duties include preflight formatting in addition to collecting, processing, checking and uploading files. Should be proficient with Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop. Must have strong sense of concept development and solid knowledge of printing processes. Web design skills are a plus.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
· Conceptualize and design digital and print collateral to support The Blood Center’s brand.
· Design graphics for monthly/quarterly donor promotions and Blood Center publications.
· Design marketing collateral such as flyers, posters, banners, directional signage, mailers, T-shirts and associated sales materials for both general and high school demographics.
- Create and present mockups and conceptual content, mood boards and design briefs.
· Create branded pieces for inter-departmental marketing needs.
- Coordinate activities with print vendors and oversee production and distribution of materials.
- Obtain competitive quotes, maintain print vendor relations, and fulfill purchase orders.
· Oversee The Blood Center’s in-house production equipment and workstation area.
· Liaise with internal customers and provide support in relation to the utilization of printing equipment.
- Provide design direction and HTML support for email marketing campaigns.
· Assist with marketing collateral pre-production and scheduling projects.
· Secure internal approvals from management on projects.
· Ensure safe care to donors, patients, staff and visitors; adhere to all Blood Center policies, procedures, and standards within budgetary specifications including time management, supply management, productivity and quality of service.
· Promote individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education and skills competency; support department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization.
· Uphold the integrity of the Commit for Life brand standards.
· Other duties as assigned.
**IDEAL CANDIDATE SHOULD BE ABLE TO INCLUDE PORTFOLIO AND/OR A WEBSITE/LINK OF THEIR WORK TO REVIEW.**
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver).
- Experience with email design tools and platforms.
- Keen attention to detail and troubleshooting skills.
- Thorough knowledge of four-color and digital printing. Able to deliver print ready files.
- Knowledge in HTML and CSS. Coding ability and familiarity with web development a plus.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications including PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent communication, planning and organizational skills; able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously for multiple internal clients while providing superior attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of social media and a drive for creative multimedia projects preferred.
- Demonstrates commitment to the Commit for Life brand by integrating our culture in all internal and external customer interactions.
Bachelor’s or Technical Degree from an accredited college or university in Graphic Arts, Communications or Marketing and a minimum of one-year experience in creating successful promotional materials; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Safety – Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Attendance – Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Regular Hours – Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions) – Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays – Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Off-Site Work – Must be able to work at off-site locations occasionally and to transport self to same.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, the Graphic Designer must set the example for upholding the integrity of the Commit for Life brand standard. Designer is also expected to keep up with design trends, receive creative direction from managers and directors, and successfully collaborate with the creative team. These requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability expected.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Texas Driver’s License and acceptable driving record.
Must meet standards of The Blood Center’s Vehicle Safety Program.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals and professional journals. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions/creative direction furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Demonstrate an appropriate level of emotional control and resilience, ability to work on own initiative.
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to operate a computer and other office machinery and remain in a stationary position. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.