Mechanic Assistant - Vehicle
Mobile Operations Center
Mechanic Assistant - Vehicle
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
9990 Fannin Street
Houston, TX 77045
TITLE/CODE: Mechanic Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Building and Fleet
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
This position will be under general supervision working with a fairly routine schedule requiring a reasonable amount of judgment with regards to the cleanliness, inspections of the fleet vehicle and the fleet maintenance areas as well as motor court areas.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned. Management retains the discretion to add to or change the duties of the position at any time.
- Perform fleet vehicle inspections and record fleet mileage weekly.
- Performs weekly parts inventory reconciliation; expedite shop parts for stock and inventory and receives and stocks parts, organize parts inventory.
- Deliver and pick up vehicles from outside vendors.
- Performs general service repairs under the supervision and direction of Vehicle Mechanics
- Performs oil changes assists with inspections
- Performs general brake repairs, tune-ups and safety inspections under supervision of Vehicle Mechanics
- Make ready new coaches and vehicles ready for service; make ready vehicles for auction. Clean the interior of all scheduled coaches daily; clean and organize shop
- Inspect gas pump conditions and record for documentation; inspect all bulk levels including diesel fuel, unleaded fuel, waste oil, coolant, transmission fluids, brake fluids.
- Inventories schedule/apply state license stickers on all vehicles; acquire vehicle state inspections.
- Assist mechanics and truck drivers on deliveries including motor oil, fuel, coolant waste oil and coolant. Arrange for proper disposal of waste parts.
- Performs various office functions required by supervisor (filing, computer entry).
- Provide outstanding customer service at all times.
- Maintain, repair, and clean special equipment
- Required to perform multiple duties in a high-energy, fast-paced working environment
- Required to have great attention to detail and have manual dexterity in both arms and hands
- Lift objects that weigh as much as 50 lbs.
- Monitor shop compliance
Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of himself/herself or others. Must comply with all applicable safety rules and policies and be willing to report actual and potential safety violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
Must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such level as is determined in The Blood Center’s sole discretion.
Full time: must be regularly available to work at least 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or such other days or hours per week as The Blood Center determines are necessary to meet business needs.
Overtime (applicable only to non-exempt positions)
Must be available and willing to work such overtime per day or per week as The Blood Center determines is necessary or desirable to meet business needs.
Weekend and Holidays
Must be available and willing to work such weekends and holidays as The Blood Center determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
Must be regularly able to work at off-site locations and to either transport self or be transported to same.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School diploma or equivalent.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Valid Texas Driver's License (TDL) plus acceptable driving record
Must meet standards of The Blood Center’s Vehicle Safety Program
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, independently. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Basic knowledge of vehicle mechanics and use of mechanical equipment.
Computer Literate: must have familiarity with using computers.
POSITION DRIVING STATUS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms; climb and/or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program in an effort to prevent bodily injury and for the health and safety of others. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, distance vision, close vision, depth perception, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; blood and/or blood components, as well as any other bio-hazard material; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.