Medical Apheresis Nurse, RN
Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Medical Apheresis Nurse, RN
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 La Concha in Houston, Texas 77054
TITLE/CODE: Medical Apheresis RN/NURSE
DEPARTMENT: Medical Services
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is accepting applications for a Medical Apheresis Nurse/RN. This position is responsible for the operation and performance of apheresis and therapeutic apheresis procedures on donors and patients. This role assists in the development of new procedures and review of procedures/policies pertaining to the apheresis program. Other essential duties include:
- Oversees, evaluates, performs and documents apheresis and therapeutic apheresis procedures according to policy/procedure.
- Assists in the development and review of new procedures and policies pertaining to the apheresis program and clinical trials.
- Performs general nursing duties, phlebotomy, peripheral IV and CVC care, and administration of medications.
- Evaluates and maintains technical procedures and policies as appropriate to the apheresis program.
- Communicates with physicians regarding patient status.
- Responsible for remaining current on national standards and trends in the area of apheresis and making appropriate suggestions as to necessary changes or updates.
- Maintains adequate knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, pharmaceuticals, and essential laboratory tests.
- Adheres to policies, procedures and standards within regulatory compliance, budgetary specifications, including time management, productivity, and accuracy of practice; ensures an adequate supply inventory.
- Maintains all records required by AABB, FDA, and other accrediting agency or vendor standards, including procedure/patient care data forms.
- Performs required apheresis equipment maintenance.
The successful candidate must be a Graduate of accredited School of Professional Nursing with current RN license in good standing. Minimum of 3 years of recent direct patient care nursing experience, preferably in an acute-care setting. Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in vascular access devices (hemodialysis catheters) and care. Proficiency in peripheral intravenous access is required. Prior RN experience in apheresis and/or acute/chronic dialysis is preferable but not required. Current Texas RN license is required or current compact RN license. Certified in Basic Life Support. or ACLS (Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support).
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.