Medical Apheresis Nurse, RN
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Locations: 1400 La Concha in Houston, Texas 77054 and travel to 3091 College Park Dr., Suite 130, The Woodlands, TX 77384
Position Title: Medical Apheresis Nurse, RN - Float
Join our team of heroes!
Are you looking for more than a job? We are hiring a diligent and care-first Medical Apheresis Nurse to join our team.
Reporting to the Nurse Manager of Medical Apheresis, this role is responsible for the performance of apheresis procedures on donors, patients, and biotherapy research participants while following specific protocols. Applies nursing care to patients and donors to maintain safety and comfort. Responsible for appropriate maintenance of apheresis-associated equipment.
This role is great for those who enjoy making a difference through patient care and learning new technologies.
Just For You:
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
- Work-life Balance: Monday to Friday, 7 am to 4 pm; No weekend or On-call Schedule
- Free Texas Medical Center and The Woodlands Donor Center Parking
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you’ll:
- Oversee, evaluate, perform and document leukapheresis procedures according to policy/procedure
- Assist in the development and review of new procedures and policies pertaining to the Medical Apheresis program and clinical trials
- Perform general nursing duties, phlebotomy, peripheral IV and CVC care
- Administer medications and monitor injections of mobilizing agents for PBSC donors, as necessary
- Hold responsibility for the performance of consenting donors for apheresis and cellular therapy collections
- Evaluate and maintain Medical Apheresis program technical procedures and policies as appropriate
- Communicate with physicians/health care providers regarding donor/patient status
- Remain current on national standards and trends in apheresis and cellular therapy, and assisting with gap analysis for departmental updates
- Assist in orienting and training other staff members
- Maintain adequate knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, pharmaceuticals, and essential laboratory tests
- Adhere to policies, procedures and standards within regulatory compliance, budgetary specifications, including time management, productivity, and accuracy of practice; ensures an adequate supply inventory
- Maintain all records required by AABB, FDA, FACT and other accrediting agency or vendor standards, including procedure/patient care data forms
- Perform equipment daily checks, quality control, validations, and preventive maintenance (regular and scheduling) in the Medical Apheresis area
- Complete additional essential duties as assigned
We need someone who has:
- Graduated from an accredited School of Professional Nursing with a current RN license in good standing.
- Minimum of 3 years of recent direct patient care nursing experience, preferably in an acute-care setting.
- Demonstrated proficiency in vascular access devices (hemodialysis catheters) and care. Proficiency in peripheral intravenous access is required.
- Prior RN experience in apheresis and/or acute/chronic dialysis is preferable but not required.
- Current unrestricted Texas RN license or current compact RN license. Certified in Basic Life Support or ACLS (Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support)
- Valid Texas Driver's License
- Willingness to travel to and work from the Houston Medical Center area and The Woodlands, TX locations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing this job, employees must be able to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as other biohazard materials. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to hepatitis and HIV.
Who We Are:
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization and is accredited, licensed, and inspected by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), AABB as well as local and state authorities. Serving the largest medical campus in the world, The Blood Center has grown to more than 650 employees and serves more than 170 hospitals and health care institutions in the 26-county Texas Gulf Coast, Brazos Valley, and East Texas regions. As it pertains to stability, we have been in business for over 45 years with no threat of mergers or acquisitions; and growing stronger as we gain more partnerships within the business community.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results, or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.
Function Titles: Registered Nurse, Dialysis Nurse, Cellular Therapy Nurse, Transfusion Nurse, Staff Nurse, Med/Surg Nurse
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 4132