Medical Apheresis Specialist
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center
Locations: 1400 La Concha Lane in Houston, TX 77054 and travel to 3091 College Park Dr., Suite 130, The Woodlands, TX 77384
Position Title: Medical Apheresis Specialist - Float
Join our team of heroes!
Are you looking for more than a job? We are hiring a diligent and care-first Medical Apheresis Specialist to join our team.
This positon is responsible for performance of leukapheresis procedures on donors and patients’ procedures and whole blood and apheresis donor collections as needed. This role is great for those who enjoy making a difference through patient care and learning new technologies.
Just For You:
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
- Work-life Balance: Monday to Friday, 7 am to 4 pm; No weekend or On-call Schedule
- Free Texas Medical Center and The Woodlands Donor Center Parking
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you’ll:
- Maintains acceptable level of proficiency in required donor and patient phlebotomy and apheresis procedures.
- Performs and documents whole blood and apheresis donor collections, and leukapheresis procedures according to policy/procedure, including pre-donation screening, venipuncture, peripheral IV insertion, and- pre- and post-procedure care.
- Adjusts apheresis collection parameters to optimize product yield following established guidelines.
- Administers and monitors injections of mobilizing agents for PBSC donors, as necessary.
- Assists in the development of new procedures and review of procedures/policies pertaining to the Medical Apheresis program, including functioning as a Subject Matter Expert, as appropriate.
- Accurately and legibly completes patient/donor records in a timely manner.
- Effectively communicates with donors, patients, family members, and physician offices regarding Medical Apheresis collection procedures.
- Demonstrates strong level of customer service skills and customer service focus.
- Assists in orienting and training other staff members.
- Performs required quality control, maintenance on of equipment , validations, schedule preventative maintenance and daily quality checks of all equipment in the Medical Apheresis area.
- Adheres to policies, procedures and standards within regulatory compliance and budgetary specifications, including time management, productivity, and accuracy of practice.
- Participates in performing clinical research studies for The Blood Center.
- Reviews clinical information and assists in assessment of donor suitability for cellular therapy donations.
- Complete additional essential duties as assigned
We need someone who has:
- High School Diploma or GED and three years of donor phlebotomy and apheresis experience to include a minimum of one year’s experience performing apheresis procedures in a medical apheresis setting, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strongly prefer a minimum of one-year experience working in a position involving frequent interaction with patients/donors and the use of customer service skills.
- ASCP Donor Phlebotomy Certification required
- EMT Certification or Licenses in a related field a plus.
- Valid Texas Driver's License
- Willingness to travel to and work from the Houston Medical Center area and The Woodlands, TX locations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing this job, employees must be able to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision, close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as other biohazard materials. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to hepatitis and HIV.
Who We Are:
Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization and is accredited, licensed, and inspected by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), AABB as well as local and state authorities. Serving the largest medical campus in the world, The Blood Center has grown to more than 650 employees and serves more than 170 hospitals and health care institutions in the 26-county Texas Gulf Coast, Brazos Valley, and East Texas regions. As it pertains to stability, we have been in business for over 45 years with no threat of mergers or acquisitions; and growing stronger as we gain more partnerships within the business community.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results, or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Reference #: 4133