Blood Center Headquarters (La Concha)
Hours Per Week:
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Work Location: 1400 La Concha Lane in Houston Texas 77045
Position Title: Medical Director
Join our team of heroes!
Reporting to the Chief Medical Officer, this individual will assist in providing oversight of operational and implementation expertise across multiple areas of a large community blood center. Areas of responsibility include medical oversight of selection and care of donors, collection, processing, and testing of blood, and disease notification. In addition, this individual will provide guidance for The Blood Center’s transfusion service activities and cellular therapy programs, as well as serving as a liaison with medical staff in the community to address transfusion concerns and assure the appropriate utilization of blood products.
JUST FOR YOU:
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Texas Medical Center location with free parking.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect.
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you will:
- Provides medical guidance and direction for organization as it relates to: selection and care of donors; collection and processing of blood; preparation of blood components; storage/inspection/criteria for consignment and control of blood; donor acceptability; disease notification, and employee/donor health and injuries.
- Provides oversight for The Blood Center’s transfusion service activities, including development of client materials, training and appropriate performance improvement activities.
- Provides oversight for the Medical Apheresis program, including new program development, SOPs, incident management and staff competency .
- Serves as liaison with medical staff to assure appropriate utilization of transfusion service resources. Initiates new product development or to meet client needs.
- Acts as clinical consultant in reference to transfusion and apheresis problems, and clinical issues with the Consultation & Reference Laboratory and their clinical clients.
- Acts as supervisor of residents and fellows in rotation at The Blood Center. Represents GCRBC on local residency and fellowship committees of affiliated institutions.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of the Medical Advisory Committee.
- Coordinates with the Chief Medical Officer to maintain an "on call" status and availability to field questions regarding regulatory issues, including donor requirements, donor incidents, product acceptability, and transfusion/apheresis service consultation.
- Fulfills the role of CLIA Laboratory Director, including test and instrument selection, validation, staff competency, and proficiency.
- Evaluates potential cell therapy clients and service needs. Reviews contracts, IRB activities, and statements of work. Develops IRB submissions and assures compliance with research protocols.
- Represents GCRBC on regional, state, or national committees and responds to media inquiries.
- Serves, as necessary, as designee of the Chief Medical Officer to ensure compliance with Bureau of Biologics, FDA and CMS regulations, Standards of the AABB and FACT [Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy] and The Blood Center's Standard Operating Procedures Manual and other applicable standards and regulations and to approve technical services not covered by these standards and regulations. Prepares for, and responds to inspection/assessment activities.
- Serves, as necessary, as designee of the Chief Medical Officer to evaluate donors and perform other functions as necessary for the Gulf Coast Donor Center, and Apheresis Center of the National Marrow Donor Program.
- Fosters cross-collaboration and teamwork amongst the Senior Leadership group; participates on Project management teams that impact Medical Services operations
- Enforces The Blood Center's policies on EEO, Affirmative Action and Safety/Health
- Complete additional duties as assigned.
We need someone who has:
- Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree from an accredited university.
- Minimum four years of combined education and experience in blood banking/transfusion medicine or related field.
- Board certified or board-eligible in Pathology, Hematology, or related field.
- Specialty training and/or certification in Blood Banking, Hematology, or a similar related field is highly desirable.
- Eligible for medical license in the state of Texas.
- Applicants with additional medical or management experience in apheresis related to cellular therapy and transplant are strongly encouraged to apply.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to operate a computer and other office machinery and remain in a stationary position. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program. Employee must be able to travel by car or plane.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to blood and/or blood components, as well as other biohazardous material.
Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.