QC Lab Tech I
GULF COAST REGIONAL BLOOD CENTER
Location: 1400 La Concha Lane in Houston, Texas 77054
Position Title: QC Lab Tech I
Department: QC Laboratory
Join our team of heroes!
Are you looking for more than a job? We are hiring detail-oriented QC Lab Tech I to join our team.
Under supervision, the QC Lab Tech I prepares and tests samples from blood components to determine if the products meet established quality control standards. Involves frequent contact with internal and external customers, requiring good judgment, diplomacy and tact.
This role is great for those who enjoy using their talents to add value to critical operations.
JUST FOR YOU:
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Texas Medical Center location with free parking.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you will:
- Prepare samples from blood components for quality control testing. Prepare reagents, as needed.
- Perform testing for bacterial contamination of apheresis and pre-pooled platelets.
- Perform CLIA moderate complexity testing.
- Enter results into computer system, as applicable.
- Participate in quality control and quality assurance activities within the department.
- Complete at least 12 hours continuing education per year.
- Communicate with internal and external customers.
We need someone who has:
High School Diploma or GED and at least one year of prior job-related laboratory experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
DIPLOMA OR TRANSCRIPT MUST BE PROVIDED AND KEPT IN PERSONNEL FILE FOR EMPLOYEES PERFORMING MODERATE OR HIGH COMPLEXITY TESTING
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk; occasionally required to sit, climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Employees are required to be familiar with and abide by the team lift requirements as specified in the Safety Program in an effort to prevent bodily injury and for the health and safety of others. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to blood and blood components as well as other biohazard materials, moving mechanical parts and extreme cold. The employee is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, and risk of radiation. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job duties involve an inherent potential for mucous membrane or skin contact with blood with a risk of exposure to Hepatitis and HIV.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.