Transfusion Safety Program Coordinator
Position Title: Transfusion Safety Program Coordinator
Join our team of heroes!
The ideal candidate will be successful in the development, implementation, and continuation of a community-based transfusion safety program. This individual will establish service and coordinate efforts to monitor transfusion safety practices and monitor compliance in those facilities for whom GCRBC serves as the crossmatch service provider. Provides education and support to transfusion services regarding transfusion practice and quality issues. Reports to the Consultation and Reference Laboratory Manager.
JUST FOR YOU:
- Texas Medical Center location with free parking.
- Education and Career advancement.
- Engaging and exciting opportunity to SAVE LIVES.
Tips to thrive in our culture:
- Embody our Core Values of Commitment, Integrity, and Respect
- Work to actively create experiences that inspire others to save lives, each and every day.
- Embrace doing it right, making connections, and creating desired experiences.
- Comply with all organizational policies and standards, including safety rules, and be willing to report actual and potential violations to the appropriate supervisor or manager.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee the Transfusion Safety Program for clients to include quality aspects related to administration protocols, patient consent, specimen collection, proper use of filters and infusion devices, and recognition of adverse events associated with transfusion.
- Coordinates data collection and reporting for audits of transfusion safety practices, transfusion reactions, and transfusion-transmitted infections for clients.
- Assists in development and monitoring of key quality indicators of transfusion practices related to safety, including the performance of periodic audits.
- Assists hospital personnel with activities related to regulatory compliance.
- Identifies need for hospital corrective action plans and enforces contractual obligations.
- Develops, coordinates, and delivers in-services and other educational programs to staff nurses and others on job-related activities.
- Establishes a regular schedule of client communication via client visits, phone calls, and other methods of contact.
- Coordinates new client on-boarding and transfusion safety activities with key personnel from Medical Services, Client Support Services, and Consultation & Reference Laboratory, including scheduling of visits, audits, and in-services, as appropriate.
- Coordinates the escalation of transfusion safety and quality-related activities requiring Medical Director and/or Chief Medical Officer assistance or involvement.
- Prepares, reviews, and analyzes reports of transfusion activities.
- Responsible for remaining current on national standards and trends in the area of transfusion safety and making appropriate suggestions as to necessary changes or updates.
- Maintains adequate knowledge of medical terminology, disease processes, and essential laboratory tests as they pertain to transfusion medicine.
- Adheres to policies, procedures and standards within regulatory compliance, budgetary specifications, including time management, productivity, and accuracy of practice; ensures an adequate supply inventory.
- Maintains all records required by AABB, FDA, and other accrediting agency standards, including audit data forms.
- Partners with Business Development to identify program growth opportunities.
- Additional duties as assigned.
We need someone who:
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in medical science or related field;
- Minimum two years’ experience related to clinical, transfusion service, blood bank, nursing, or quality assurance.
- Valid Texas Driver's License and acceptable driver's license.
- MLS/MT/BB (ASCP) or equivalent preferred.
- Current unrestricted Texas RN or LVN license preferred.
Think you have what it takes to save lives with us? We want to hear from you.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
The Blood Center is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants for positions are considered without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, age, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, military status, protected veteran status, disability status, genetic testing results or any other basis or characteristic prohibited by applicable law, statute, regulation or Executive Order.